Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Here's a recipe I found in a weight watchers cookbook that my whole family loves - especially DD6. She even requests it for her birthday.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans or 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with seasonings
- 1⁄2 cup diced lean ham or 1⁄2 cup smoked turkey
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Saute Onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, ham, thyme, bay leaves and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are creamy.
- Season with salt, pepper and discard bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.
I'm just branching out into eating beans and other "adventurous" foods and I thought this was delicious!