This recipe was given to me by a Grand Southern Lady who wrote on the recipe card-they's about the same-I like this best. I like them too.
- Slice the outer green and inner pink part of the rind.
- Place in a large glass bowl and cover with a brine made from the 3/4 cup salt and 3 quarts water.
- Cover with ice and let stand 6-7 hours.
- Drain, rinse and drain again.
- In a large pot add the rind and just cover with cold water.
- Cook until JUST tender-around 10 minutes.
- Dont overcook.
- Tie spices in a spice bag.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, 3 cups water and spice bag and boil 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag-reserve.
- Pour syrup over rinds and add lemon slices.
- Let stand overnight at room temp.
- Heat rind and lemon in syrup and boil.
- Cook until rind is translucent-around 10 minutes.
- Pack hot into clean hot jars.
- Add 1 piece of cinnamon from the spice bag to each jar.
- Cover with boiling syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.