Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by a Grand Southern Lady who wrote on the recipe card-they's about the same-I like this best. I like them too.
- 2838.0 ml watermelon rind, cut into 1 inch squares
- 177.44 ml salt
- 2838.0 ml water
- ice cube (2 trays)
- 7.39 ml whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1892.72 ml sugar
- 709.77 ml white vinegar
- 709.77 ml water
- 1 lemon, sliced paper thin-seeds removed
- Slice the outer green and inner pink part of the rind.
- Place in a large glass bowl and cover with a brine made from the 3/4 cup salt and 3 quarts water.
- Cover with ice and let stand 6-7 hours.
- Drain, rinse and drain again.
- In a large pot add the rind and just cover with cold water.
- Cook until JUST tender-around 10 minutes.
- Dont overcook.
- Tie spices in a spice bag.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, 3 cups water and spice bag and boil 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag-reserve.
- Pour syrup over rinds and add lemon slices.
- Let stand overnight at room temp.
- Heat rind and lemon in syrup and boil.
- Cook until rind is translucent-around 10 minutes.
- Pack hot into clean hot jars.
- Add 1 piece of cinnamon from the spice bag to each jar.
- Cover with boiling syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Oh MAN, is this stuff GOOD! I looked over several recipes and they were all about the same except for spices. I added 10 whole peppercorns and 10 whole allspice to this recipe, and it is OUTSTANDING! A bit sweet, but still GREAT!
Hi Di Neal; Just finished making your WATERMELON PICKLES, Watermelon Pickles and they turned out super-great. I only had enough watermelon rind for 1/2 the recipe, so it was a samll batch. I made some CRYSTALIZED GINGER 2 days ago and had some syrup left over. I used this and added a bit more sugar and my, but it gave the pickles another flavor. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I am going out to buy a 22 to 25 lb. watermelon and will make a nice big batch. "Uncle Bill"
Dibs my dear I made these over a month ago, and just opened my first jar. I wanted a pickle just like the ones my Late DM used to make for the holidays, but she didn't use lemon rind, so I substitued lemon juice instead from one whole lemon. OMG!!! these are sooooo doggone good, and taste exactly like Moms. Thank you for giving me back a great memory, and wonderful pickle I used to love as a child.