These healthy alternatives to beef burgers are ideal for barbecues served in a bread roll with salad or a salsa. I can't take credit for this recipe, though - my daughter, Laura, came home to visit last weekend and she barbecued for us. Dad LOVES an occasional kitchen break!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ounce plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (chef’s choice)
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon marmite (yeast extract) or 1/2 teaspoon vegemite
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Take the beans and mash lightly, add the onion, flour, herbs, chili sauce, egg and Marmite.
- 2Mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 3Shape the mixture into 6 or 8 rounds and lightly dust with flour.
- 4Heat the oil and fry (or barbecue on the grill) the burgers for 4 minutes each side.
- 5Drain briefly on kitchen paper and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 35.3 mg
- Sodium 25.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce