Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These healthy alternatives to beef burgers are ideal for barbecues served in a bread roll with salad or a salsa. I can't take credit for this recipe, though - my daughter, Laura, came home to visit last weekend and she barbecued for us. Dad LOVES an occasional kitchen break!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ounce plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (chef’s choice)
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marmite (yeast extract) or 1⁄2 teaspoon vegemite
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Take the beans and mash lightly, add the onion, flour, herbs, chili sauce, egg and Marmite.
- Mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Shape the mixture into 6 or 8 rounds and lightly dust with flour.
- Heat the oil and fry (or barbecue on the grill) the burgers for 4 minutes each side.
- Drain briefly on kitchen paper and serve.