Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I started experimenting with stove-top baking because the oven where I'm staying is broken, and it's opened up a whole new world to me! I adapted this recipe from several that I found online and this version is the best yet. You can vary ingredients and proportions to suit your tastes; the cornbread seems quite agreeable. I would never normally buy creamed corn, but I'm staying with my boyfriend's family and they have it, so I used it - I'm sure you could also just use regular corn kernals. You can use any egg replacer equal to one egg in place of the EnerG and water. You can also use any non-hydrogenated margarine or vegetable oil; I just prefer Earth Balance. And I know honey is not technically vegan (I eat it, though), so substitute another sweetener if you want to make this recipe truly, truly vegan! YOU WILL NEED A 10" CAST-IRON SKILLET FOR THIS RECIPE and something to cover it with. Have fun and be creative!
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄3 cup earth balance non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons other liquid sweetener
- creamed corn
- 1 -2 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, to grease pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and sea salt; set aside.
- Add apple cider vinegar to soy milk to sour the milk; set aside.
- In a small cup, mix egg replacer with warm water until smooth.
- In another small cup, melt 1/3 cup of Earth Balance margarine.
- In a second bowl, mix together soured soy milk, water/egg replacer mixture, melted margarine, and honey until well blended.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Add creamed corn and mix gently.
- Heat 10" cast-iron skillet over medium heat, and melt a generous ammount of margarine in it to coat bottom and sides. Turn heat down to low.
- Pour batter into greased skillet and smooth out top.
- Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. Check after about 30 minutes. When entire top of cornbread is firm (you can also insert a knife in the center to test for doneness), turn off heat, but leave cover on for several minutes for cornbread to finish cooking.
- Cut and serve! Great with collard greens!
- Note for Vegan omit the honey and use another sweetener.
this was very interesting to make. mine took a little longer than 40 minutes for the top to set and by that time the bottom was black... but still good. i served it with vegetarian lentil stew recipe 20064 and the mix was amazing! the bread and stew went much better together than apart. the bread was moiste and we just spooned it out of the pan on the stove very fun and interesting..i also made it with regular ingredients and didnt make it vegan.. it was great thanks for a great exp.