2 hrs 20 mins
I cant wait until November each year when I know I will have a turkey carcass that I can use in this recipe. My kids also look forward to this every year
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 turkey carcass, plus about
- 8 -16 ounces left over cooked turkey
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces diced kielbasa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1Prepare turkey broth; Cut carcass into several pieces.
- 2Cut leftover turkey meat into 3/4in pieces;cover and refrigerate.
- 3Cut carrot and 1 celery stalk into 2-inch pieces; cut 1 onion into 4 wedges.
- 4reserve remaining celery and onion for making gumbo later.
- 5In a 6-quart saucepot, place carass, cut up carrot, celery, and onion, and 1 garlic clove.
- 6Add 2 quarts of water; heat to boiling over high heat.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, 1 hour.
- 8Drain broth through colander into a bowl and discard solids and return broth to saucepot.
- 9Heat broth to boiling and boil uncovered 5 minutes.
- 10Set aside.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare gumbo; In a 4-quart saucepan, cook flour over low heat until golden (about 10mins) stirring frequently.
- 12Transfer flour to cup and set aside Thinly slice remaining celery, and onion and mince remaining garlic clove.
- 13In same saucepan heat oil over med-hight heat.
- 14Add kiebasa and cook 2 mins or until lightly browned.
- 15With a slotted spoon transfer kielbasa to plate.
- 16Stir 1/4 cup turkey broth into flour in cup until paste forms.
- 17reduce heat to med; add paste to saucepan and cook 1 minute stirring gradually stir in 2 3/4 c turkey broth Return kielbasa to saucepan.
- 18Stir in onion, celery,garlic, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, chopped red pepper, bay leaf, salt, thyme, ground red pepper, and allspice; heat to boiling over high heat.
- 19Add frozen okra; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, Stir in turkey meat; cook 1 minute Meanwhile prepare rice; In 2-quart saucepan, heat remaining 2 cups turkey broth to boiling over high heat.
- 20Add rice heat to boliing.
- 21Reduce heat to low cover and siimmer 18-20mins until rice is tender.
- 22To serve, discard bay leaf from gumbo.
- 23Spoon gumbo over rice in bowls.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.4
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 378.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: