1/3 Photos of Traditional Basic Black Eyed Peas
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Here's a recipe for basic black-eyed peas with bacon or hog jowl and spicy seasonings and herbs, along with garlic and vegetables. These peas are delicious with cornbread or corn muffins and seasoned greens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas
- 1/2 lb hog pork jowl or 1/2 lb lean salt pork or 1/2 lb thick lean bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1Rinse peas and pick over for bad or discolored peas and small stones; transfer to a medium saucepan.
- 2Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes; set aside.
- 4Put the meat in a large stock pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until fat is rendered.
- 5Add the onion, diced carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 6Add peas and enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- 7Add pepper flakes, black pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- 8Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour.
- 9Uncover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until peas are tender.
- 10Add more water as needed to keep them moist. When the peas are tender stir in the salt and Tabasco, if using.
- 11Serve with hot baked cornbread and a tossed salad.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Basic Black Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.4
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.1 mg
- Sodium 1531.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.2 g