Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad is great, and you mix it up a day ahead of serving. It is for a large crowd, but you could cut the recipe in half. Prep time includes 12 hours in the refrigerator. This is from "Threadgill's, The Cookbook" by Eddie Wilson. A landmark grill in Austin.
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green chili, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower, diced
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs spiral shaped pasta, uncooked,fresh or frozen (dry would work also)
For Salad Dressing
- 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon tarragon leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vinaigrette dressing (your favorite)
- Mix all salad ingredients EXCEPT pasta.
- Mix salad dressing and pour over vegetables.
- Let stand for 12 hours in refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Cook and chill pasta.
- Add pasta to the vegetables.
- Serve as a salad or as a base for entree salads.
First of all, I loved all the veggies in this pasta salad. However, I found the dressing rather ordinary, and as others have said, the recipe given did not make enough for 4lbs of pasta. I am not giving a star rating because I made one possibly substantial change to the recipe, by drastically reducing the quantity of green chilies, and that would have certainly given it more zing. I would have given it 3 stars in the form I made -- it was tasty but nothing special. I'm also kind of mystified as to why you'd give a salad dressing recipe that calls for the addition of pre-made vinaigrette dressing, considering that the recipe to that point basically is a vinaigrette.
This was delicious, although I did make a few changes. I only cooked up 1 pound of spiral pasta, and halved the vegs. and made a full batch of the dressing. This worked well and was delicious! Four pounds of pasta would make an awful lot. I also added a touch of ranch dressing to my bowl, because I felt it could use a touch more dressing. I loved all the veggies in this. Thanks Annie!