Who needs eleven herbs and spices?! This delicious pan-fried chicken comes from "Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook" by Sylvia Woods. It's best to season the chicken overnight, but 20 minutes will do. The seasonings are delicious but don't overpower the meat itself, and it's just as good cold! Try it! I've included overnight seasoning in the prep time, but it could actually be as little as 20 minutes. I'm also allowing a little extra time for the frying because not all pieces cook in the same amount of time.
- In plastic bag, combine salt, 1 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the garlic powder.
- Sprinkle over the chicken and let stand at least 20 minutes (but overnight in the refrigerator is better).
- Place flour, the remaining 1/4 tsp. black pepper and paprika in a plastic bag.
- Add the seasoned chicken and shake until each piece is covered with flour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat, add chicken pieces and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken is nicely browned on the bottom.
- Turn and cook on the other side for another 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels before serving.