Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Everyday cooking at its best. Perfect for a cold winter's day. Serve over boiled potatoes with a green cabbage salad.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bottom round beef roast (2 1/4 lbs if using bone-in) or 1 1⁄2 lbs elk roast (2 1/4 lbs if using bone-in) or 1 1⁄2 lbs reindeer meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (2 1/4 lbs if using bone-in)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use 1 tbsp each) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use 1 tbsp each)
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 10 whole allspice or 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄4 cups water or 2 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- Coat the beef with flour and salt.
- In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, melt the butter.
- Sauté the meat until browned on all sides.
- Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes with the meat.
- Add allspice, bay leaves, and water, and stir well, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan well.
- Add carrots, cover, and allow to simmer over low heat until meat is tender (1-1 1/2 hours).
- Stir occasionally to keep from sticking, and if needed, add more water.
- Add potatoes, and return to boiling; cook until potatoes are tender (1/2 hour).