Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mom taught me how to make potato salad and she NEVER put sweet pickles in it. Always used dill pickles. I have had many compliments and requests to make this salad for get togethers.
- 5 lbs potatoes (russet or white potatoes are best)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped small
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 dozen hard-boiled egg, cut in bite sized pieces
- 4 -5 med-large dill pickles, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pepper (more or less)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mustard (I like guldens brown)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- Bake potatoes (microwave or oven) as they don't get soggy like boiled ones, cool to handle. Peel and cut in large chunks.
- Use large bowl to mix potatoes, celery, pickles, onion and eggs. Mix carefully so as not to mash potatoes.
- Mix dressing by mixing last 4 ingredients together in a small bowl or just add to salad bowl & mix. Stir to coat all ingredients and taste for saltiness.
- Chill several hours or overnight. Taste for seasoning & add more of anything you like (salt, mustard, pickles, olives etc). If too dry add more mayo.
So very delicious! Make this one for sure! Do decrease the onion. I used green onions.
This is an outstanding potato salad! This is what you expect that a really good potato salad should taste. Sometimes, you get sick of eating regular potato salad, but this keeps you coming back for more. I followed this exactly, and used the 4 serving measurement, which was perfect. Thanks for posting such a good tasting, perfect salad!
Dill is the only way to go! This recipe had way too much onion for me...I cut it in half and it was still strong...even more over-powering the second day. I will use green onions next time as they don't vary so much in strength. 12 eggs is a lot for 5 lbs of potatoes but I made it as is and is was good. With all that protein it could be a main dish. Hard to stay out of while it sits in the frig...Thank you :)