Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
"Not tried this one yet"! It came from Cooking for American Homemakers (Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook..1910, from the 1948 copy. (If you con get one of these cook books get it it has a lot of weird but good recipes in it).
- Roast Opossum:.
- The opossum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
- It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
- After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
- Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
- Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
- Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
- Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350°F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
- Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
- Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
- Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.
- Opossum Stuffing:.
- Brown onion in fat.
- Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
- Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.