4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
"Not tried this one yet"! It came from Cooking for American Homemakers (Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook..1910, from the 1948 copy. (If you con get one of these cook books get it it has a lot of weird but good recipes in it).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 opossum
- 1 cup salt
- 1Roast Opossum:.
- 2The opossum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
- 3It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
- 4After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
- 5Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
- 6Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
- 7Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
- 8Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350°F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
- 9Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
- 10Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
- 11Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.
- 12Opossum Stuffing:.
- 13Brown onion in fat.
- 14Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
- 15Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Roast Opossum
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.2
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 11403.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: