This isn't a recipe as much as a method of cooking summer squash. I gave amounts but treat it more as a ratio than a rule- allow at least one squash per serving because it cooks down to a very small amount even though it looks like you are cooking a lot.
- Slice squash as thinly as possible- I use a mandoline to do this quickly.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add squash and onions and season then cover with water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until water evaporates.
- Can be eaten at this point, but I like to cook it until it is almost brown, you just have to stir very frequently because it will stick pretty bad. Cooking it a long time will caramelize the vegetables and it becomes a sweet side dish. Warning- it isn't pretty, but it is tasty!
- Make this into a main dish by adding chunks of ham during cooking. Also delicious!