Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Last night was a last minute get together at our house. Six adults and two kids for dinner following a Bocci Ball game, or two! I decided on a steakhouse dinner of a thick sirloin on the grill, wedge salad with creamy, homemade blue cheese dressing, yeast rolls, sauteed spinach with lots of garlic and au gratin potatoes. Our friends brought the wine...Cyrus, Stag's Leap, we have great friends!
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 2 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups gruyere, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. *I have a vegetable chopper from Williams-Sonoma and this step only takes 5 minutes.
- Parboil the potatoes 5 minutes in salty water.
- Either spray a large baking dish with oil or rub it lightly with butter.
- Drain and then toss the potatoes in the baking dish with the butter, thyme, nutmeg, more salt and pepper.
- Mix almost all the cheese (save some for the top) throughout the potatoes and pour the half & half evenly over all.
- Top the dish with the reserved cheese.
- Bake for one hour or until the cheese is nicely melted, bubbling and turning a caramel color.
This is a fantastic recipe! I made it to go with your Best Roasted Chicken You'll Ever Have!! - another 5-star winner! Thanks for a delicious Sunday dinner addition!
This was absolutely wonderful! I halved the recipe, and micro-steamed the potatoes to soften them. Other than that, I made it exactly as written, and I will be making it often. Now...if someone would just bring me some Stag's Leap (my favorite). Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.