Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Our favorite way to have squash! Good southern comfort food.
Make and share this Squash Casserole With Cheese and Bacon recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut squash into cubes and boil with onion until tender. Drain well and mash.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for enough cheese and cracker crumbs to top, and mix well.
- Pour into buttered casserole dish and top with remaining cheese and cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I think this recipe would taste different depending upon what squash you used. For 1/2 recipe, I used 1 pattypan and the other two I don't know the name of. They look like small dappled acorns with an orange flesh. Anyways, I cut the last two in half and baked them face down while I baked another dish. That way, I just scooped the flesh out and mashed it. I chopped the pattypan and onions, boiled them and blendered them and combined with the other squash. I used Kashi TLC crackers and ground them in the blender. Everyone, except the squash hater, tried and like them. The bacon adds flavor to it. Nice warming comfort food.