Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a favorite side dish from a local restaurant in Knoxville, TN. Almost everyone who comes in orders it to go along with their ribs. I highly recommend this dish.
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granules
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Heat milk with the mustard,garlic& red pepper in pan to 190 degres,just below boiling point.
- Reduce heat.
- Crumble Velveeta cheese into a glass bowl and microwave until melted.
- Add milk to mixture, stirring until mixed.
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp butter, then add to the cheese sauce.
- Combine 5 tbsp melted butter and flour in small skillet,mix until blended.
- Cook over low heat for 3-4 minuest to make a roux, stirring constantly.
- Add roux to the cheese sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until the cheese sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- Squeeze excess water from spinach and add to the cheese sauce; mix until just blended.
- Spoon in 2 greased 9x10" baking dishes.
- Sprinkle each with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until brown.