This is a favorite side dish from a local restaurant in Knoxville, TN. Almost everyone who comes in orders it to go along with their ribs. I highly recommend this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granules
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Heat milk with the mustard,garlic& red pepper in pan to 190 degres,just below boiling point.
- 2Reduce heat.
- 3Crumble Velveeta cheese into a glass bowl and microwave until melted.
- 4Add milk to mixture, stirring until mixed.
- 5Saute onion in 1 tbsp butter, then add to the cheese sauce.
- 6Combine 5 tbsp melted butter and flour in small skillet,mix until blended.
- 7Cook over low heat for 3-4 minuest to make a roux, stirring constantly.
- 8Add roux to the cheese sauce.
- 9Cook over medium heat until the cheese sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- 11Squeeze excess water from spinach and add to the cheese sauce; mix until just blended.
- 12Spoon in 2 greased 9x10" baking dishes.
- 13Sprinkle each with Monterey Jack cheese.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until brown.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Maria
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 1063.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 19.7 g