2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 35 mins
From The Boathouse, Charleston, South Carolina. Delicious!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup green hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups corn grits or 2 cups polenta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1Combine the hot green pepper sauce, wine, shallots, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium saucepan.
- 2Boil mixture over medium heat until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 15 minutes).
- 3Stir in 1/2 cup of cream; set aside.
- 4Bring 1/2 cup cream, 5 cups water, milk and butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- 5Gradually whisk in the grits.
- 6Simmer for about 1 hour or until the grits are very soft and thickened; stir frequently.
- 7Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- 8Add sausage, peppers, onion, and garlic; saute until veggies are tender (about 8 minutes).
- 9Add shrimp, tomatoes, cajun seasoning, and Old Bay seasoning and saute until the shrimp are opaque in the center (about 6 minutes).
- 10Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11Return hot-pepper cream mixture to a simmer.
- 12Spoon grits onto 6 plates.
- 13Spoon shrimp mixture over grits.
- 14Drizzle hot-pepper cream sauce over and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Shrimp and Andouille Sausage over Grits
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 770.1
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 166.5 mg
- Sodium 978.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 25.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning