Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 35 mins
From The Boathouse, Charleston, South Carolina. Delicious!!!
Make and share this Spicy Shrimp and Andouille Sausage over Grits recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup green hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups corn grits or 2 cups polenta
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Combine the hot green pepper sauce, wine, shallots, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium saucepan.
- Boil mixture over medium heat until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cream; set aside.
- Bring 1/2 cup cream, 5 cups water, milk and butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in the grits.
- Simmer for about 1 hour or until the grits are very soft and thickened; stir frequently.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage, peppers, onion, and garlic; saute until veggies are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Add shrimp, tomatoes, cajun seasoning, and Old Bay seasoning and saute until the shrimp are opaque in the center (about 6 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return hot-pepper cream mixture to a simmer.
- Spoon grits onto 6 plates.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over grits.
- Drizzle hot-pepper cream sauce over and serve.