1/2 Photos of Spicy Cajun Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
I found this recipe in a Mr. Foods magazine and it has become a family favorite. Do use a spicy sausage for this dish as I have found using just plain pork sausage meat does not work as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1/2 lb precooked spicy andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 lb smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 lb crawfish, peeled (optional)
- 1 bunch scallion, coarsely chopped
- 2 pinches salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1In a large pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and saute 5 minutes stirring often.
- 3Add shrimp, chicken bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside and the shrimp is opaque.
- 4Stir in paprika until thoroughly mixed with other ingredients.
- 5Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until well mixed.
- 6Add sausage and ham stirring well. Add crawfish (if using) and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid returns to a boil.
- 7Stir in scallions, salt and rice. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and cook 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- 8Serve with fresh crusty french bread.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Cajun Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.1
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 265.9 mg
- Sodium 1843.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 57.4 g