Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Low fat, spicy Creole chicken.
Make and share this Southern-Style Oven Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375F; lightly coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- On waxed paper, combine flour with cayenne pepper and combine Creole seasoning & poultry seasoning with corn flakes.
- Roll chicken in seasoned flour, dip in buttermilk, then roll in seasoned crumbs.
- Place coated chicken breasts in prepared baking dish.
- Bake until chicken is tender and no longer pink (about 1 hour).
I was a little heavy handed with the creole/cajun spice in making my ven fried chicken tender sized strips. Because the breasts were in smaller pieces, I ended up usng more than the suggested amount of cornflake crumbs. Haven't had fried chicken in years, but this has allowed me to erase any craving for the deep fried variety. The coating gets quite crispy, crunchy and spicy. (I've had chicken coated in corn flakes before, but liked this one much better.) I think the difference was the buttermilk which helped the cereal form a nice coating that stayed adhered to the chicken. The other important of making this seems to be keeping the cereal large enough to have texture but small enough to genuinely coat the chicken. This will definitely stay in our dinner rotation. Thanks littleturtle.
Very good...I sprinkled extra Creole seasoning on top of the chicken in the pan, for good measure! My chicken pieces are large, so I cut them into 4 pieces and lessened the cooking time.