I hunted down this recipe after seeing it on Nigella Bites. Looks great, and easy. I hope to try it very soon. Cooking time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium container place chicken and cover with milk. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight. This helps tenderize the meat, but is optional
- 2In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, transfer chicken into pot, then pour in the milk. Bring milk to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove the chicken from the milk, and place on a rack to cool. Allow them to sit until warm about 15 minutes, and then pat dry.
- 4Heat vegetable shortening in a Dutch oven or skillet over high heat just until it's near the smoking point around 325 degrees F.
- 5In a large zip-lock bag, add salt, flour, cayenne pepper, shake to combine.
- 6In a medium bowl, beat 1 egg.
- 7Place each piece of chicken, 1 at a time, in the bag and shake to coat the chicken. Then dip chicken into the egg to coat. Place the chicken back into the flour to coat for a second time. Repeat this method on remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
- 8Gently drop each piece of chicken into hot oil, allowing the skin to crisp and turn golden brown in color, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- 9Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Style Deep-Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.1
- Calories from Fat 459
- Total Fat 51.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 374.5 mg
- Sodium 5069.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 66.6 g