Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I hunted down this recipe after seeing it on Nigella Bites. Looks great, and easy. I hope to try it very soon. Cooking time does not include marinating time.
- In a medium container place chicken and cover with milk. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight. This helps tenderize the meat, but is optional
- In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, transfer chicken into pot, then pour in the milk. Bring milk to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the milk, and place on a rack to cool. Allow them to sit until warm about 15 minutes, and then pat dry.
- Heat vegetable shortening in a Dutch oven or skillet over high heat just until it's near the smoking point around 325 degrees F.
- In a large zip-lock bag, add salt, flour, cayenne pepper, shake to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1 egg.
- Place each piece of chicken, 1 at a time, in the bag and shake to coat the chicken. Then dip chicken into the egg to coat. Place the chicken back into the flour to coat for a second time. Repeat this method on remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
- Gently drop each piece of chicken into hot oil, allowing the skin to crisp and turn golden brown in color, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve immediately.
Very good, but drain chicken on a wire rack over paper towels to prevent a soggy spot!
Tried this last night and it was fantastic..Thanks for sharing this easy way of making fried chicken. I didnt have time to soak the chicken but i simmered it in milk and it came out tender and juicy. PERFECT!!! Thanks