1/1 Photo of Southern Shepherd's Pie
Chris Sharpe's Note:
This is a southern twist on the traditional shepherd's pie. With a deep-dish bottom crust, a rich hamburger and veggie filling, topped with browned cheddar mashed potatoes. This has become a family favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs hamburger meat
- 2 pre-made deep dish pie shells
- 3 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 5 -6 medium potatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweet peas
- 1 (12 ounce) can carrots
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1Pre-bake pie crusts according to instructions on crusts - or at 400 degrees until light brown, for about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- 2Boil 5 or 6 medium peeled potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with 1/2 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 3Mix with a mixer on high speed until fluffy. When cooled a little, fold in about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese.
- 4Dice up onions and saute over medium high heat in a little EVOO and butter with about a tsp of salt.
- 5Add chopped garlic, and continue to cook until onions are tender.
- 6Remove onion mixture.
- 7Brown hamburger in the same pot with about a teaspoon of worcestershire sauce.
- 8Add onion mixture back to pot with 2/3 can of beef consomme and 3 tablespoons of ketchup, a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- 9Mix about 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour in with the remaining consomme until all lumps are gone. Raise heat until the meat mixture begins to boil. Slowly add the consomme flour while stirring quickly, and continue to stir and boil for about 1 minute after all of the flour is added. Remove from heat.
- 10Fold in the drained corn, peas, and carrots.
- 11Spoon the mixture into the cooled pie crusts.
- 12Pipe the cheddar mashed potatoes on top of the pies to form a decorative top crust.
- 13Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes brown on top.
- 14Let cool for about 10 or 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 816.8
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 952.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 37.6 g