Okay....this is not your same old timey recipe, but it is good, plus it is quick and easy to make. Great for those weeknights when you want some good old comfort foods, but don't have the long cook time that is often involved in that type cooking.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 ounces v 8 vegetable juice (must be the hot and spicy)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package okra, sliced style
- 1 lb fish fillet, cut into bite size pieces (I like Tilapia)
- 3⁄4 lb frozen salad shrimp
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooked measurement
- Pour olive oil into a heated soup pot.
- Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oil until tender, but not over done.
- Add celery seed.
- Add V8 juice, tomato sauce, water, tomatoes, okra, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Stir in fish and cook for approximately 8 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Place a 1/2 cup mound of rice in bowl and ladle gumbo over the rice.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread and you have a full meal.