1/1 Photo of Southern Greens With a Kick
5 hrs 20 mins
These greens are cooked in the crockpot. Use meaty ham hocks or ham bone and serve with fresh baked corn bread, green onions and ice tea for a great southern meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Tear the greens into large pieces, wash under running water to clean well, drain.
- 2Preheat a heavy skillet with olive oil, add sliced onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onions begin to lightly brown, add minced jalapeño peppers.
- 3Place the cooked onions in the bottom of the crockpot, add the drained greens,ham hock, crushed red pepper and water.
- 4Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until greens are tender.
- 5Remove meat from bones, discarding bone and fat.
- 6Shred the meat and return to pot, mixing well; adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Top each serving of the greens with balsamic vinegar to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Greens With a Kick
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.3
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: