Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Vegan un-chicken recipe. Deep Fried Seitan. Found on about.com, havent tried it yet but it sounds good.
- 4.92 ml salt or 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne (optional)
- 354.88 ml flour
- 59.14 ml nutritional yeast (optional)
- 59.14 ml prepared mustard
- 29.58 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml water
- 453.59 g seitan, cut into 1-2-inch square pieces
- oil (for frying)
- In a medium to large bowl, mix together the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, flour, black pepper, cayenne and nutritional yeast.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mustard and water. Add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture to the mustard mixture and combine well.
- Add baking powder to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Coat pieces of seitan or mock chicken with the mustard batter, then coat each piece with the dry flour mixture.
- Fry chunks of "chicken" in the oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet for 3-5 minutes, turning once until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel, serve with ketchup or barbeque sauce and enjoy!
- Tip: If your chunks are turning brown or black rather than a crispy golden brown, your oil is probably too hot! Reduce the heat a small amount and try again.