This chicken is crispy and the best I've eaten! It is important to follow the instructions on when to cover or uncover chicken during frying. That's what makes it crispy. To me, this is the ultimate comfort food with the delicious cream gravy. Prep and cook times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut up into separate pieces (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup light cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- vegetable oil
For Cream Gravy
- 2 tablespoons reserved fat, from skillet
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- 1Wash and dry chicken pieces; shake in a bag with flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- 2Dip coated pieces in cream in pie plate; then dip in remaining flour mixture again to coat evenly.
- 3Pour enough oil into a large skillet to make a depth of 1".
- 4Heat over moderate heat to 375 degrees on deep-fat frying thermometer (if you have one).
- 5If not, just test heat by sprinkling a drop of water into grease, if it pops, it's ready enough.
- 6(Stand back, so you don't get splattered).
- 7Add chicken, skin side down.
- 8When underside of chicken starts to brown, lower heat and partially cover skillet with lid.
- 9Turn chicken pieces after 15 minutes.
- 10Continue cooking second side, uncovered, until browned and chicken is tender, 10 minutes longer.
- 11Drain on paper toweling, keep warm.
- 12Serve with Cream Gravy, if you wish.
- 13For Cream Gravy: Pour off fat from skillet, leaving brown bits; return 2 tablespoons fat to pan.
- 14Stir in 2 tablespoons flour; heat until light brown.
- 15Remove from heat; gradually stir in 1 cup light cream.
- 16Return to heat; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- 17If too thick, add more cream.
- 18Taste; add salt and pepper as needed.
- 19Makes about 1-1/4 cups.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Chicken W/Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.2
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 238.8 mg
- Sodium 1360.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 48.8 g