This is my favorite broccoli casserole recipe, courtesy of my aunt who lives in South Carolina. She traditionally serves this at Thanksgiving and at a few other family gatherings throughout the year. Aside from the ingredients, what really sets this recipe apart are the Ritz crackers mixed with melted margarine. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 1 tablespoon margarine to a pan and lightly sautee onions until soft.
- Remove onions and set aside, reserving remaining margarine.
- Beat two eggs and set aside.
- Add broccoli, sauteed onion, mushroom soup, mayonnaise, cheese, and eggs to a medium bowl and mix together until well-blended.
- Add mixture to a 1.5 to 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine reserved margarine from pan and remaining 2 tablespoons of melted margarine and gently mix together with Ritz crackers in a small bowl until crackers are coated but not saturated.
- Layer crackers as a topping over broccoli mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.