1/2 Photos of Southern Black-Eyed Peas
7 hrs 30 mins
True Texas's Note:
From About Southern U.S. Cuisine website. This recipe makes some delicious black-eyed peas for New Years Day or anytime of the year. A true southern delight. Note: you can use chicken broth in place of some of the water for more flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan, cover peas with water to 3 inches over the peas.
- 2Bring to boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 3Place ham hock, sliced onion, bacon, pepper, garlic and salt in the slow cooker/crock pot.
- 4Pour in 3 cups water.
- 5Cover and cook on HIGH until peas are tender and ready to go into the crockpot.
- 6When peas are tender, transfer to the slow cooker/crock pot.
- 7Reduce heat to LOW; cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours.
- 8Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with hot cornbread.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.4
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 229.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: