1/1 Photo of Slow Cooker Southern Barbecue Pork on a Bun
Hey Jude's Note:
This is a really nice pork sandwich recipe that I found in the Chicago Sun-Times and fixed tonight for dinner. Plan ahead a bit as it has to marinate overnight but it's great the next day, just dump it in the slow cooker and let it rip. It makes a lot of sauce so I saved the leftover sauce and plan to use it on BBQ chicken this coming week. These sandwiches were really good served on DotM's Hamburger Buns, Bread Maker Hamburger Buns! prep time includes marinading time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine ketchup, chili sauce, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then let cool.
- 3Rinse pork shoulder and pat dry, then place in a large glass bowl or resealable plastic bag; pour sauce over pork and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- 4Remove roast from the marinade and place in the slow cooker; add 3/4 cup water to marinade, mix well and add to roast in slow cooker; cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-6 hours (I cooked for 8 hours and mine was perfect), until meat is tender but not falling apart.
- 5Remove meat from sauce and let it stand on a carving board for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into thin slices and keep warm.
- 6To serve: place meat on one half of bun, add sauce and top with the other half of bun (kind of elementary, huh?).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Southern Barbecue Pork on a Bun
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 873.7
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 1698.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 47.1 g