Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this in Woman's Day magazine. The pork has a great rub and is cooked in chicken broth, which with added ingredients, make a terrific sauce to pour over meat. With the temp hitting 100 this was just what I was looking for served with cold slaw, corn and great pickles.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) boneless pork butt or 1 (2 1/2 lb) pork shoulder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 hamburger buns or 6 any soft rolls
- In small bowl stir 1 tbsp of the sugar, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and pepper; set aside.
- Lay pork on plastic wrap and rub all sides with the spice rub.
- Wrap in the plastic wrap refrigerate for 1 hour of overnight.
- Unwrap and place in slow cooker with chicken broth. Cook on high for 6 hours and low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork and cut into 6 sections and allow to cool 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Pour cooking liquid into small saucepan add vinegar, ketchup and remaining brown sugar. Cook until sugar dissolved about 2 minutes using forks or your hands pull meat apart into shreds discarding excess fat.