Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I was doing a project on cajun and creole food, so I invested in some help from Susan Merrick who owns and operates cajun-country-foods.com. She helped me out with these recipes!! So I want to thank her!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cooked shrimp
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- In a large heavy skillet melt the butter.
- Add onion and saute' until limp, but not browned. Blend in flour.
- Add bay leaf,celery,parsley, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce, salt, tomato paste, and water.
- Cook for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Stir in the shrimp and simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve over rice.