1 hr 40 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Chef John Besh, as printed in Men's Health June 2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs andouille sausages, diced
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks separated)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 5 celery ribs, diced
- 3 large onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups converted rice
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably Louisiana white)
- 1 1/2 lbs louisiana crawfish, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon celery salt
- 1Preheat a large cast-iron pot over high heat.
- 2Lower the heat to medium-high and add the sausage and bacon.
- 3Cook the meat as evenly as possible, stirring slowly, until the fat is released.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot, and turn the heat to high.
- 5Once the chicken has browned, add the celery, onions, green pepper, and garlic.
- 6Continue to stir, allowing the ingredients to brown without burning.
- 7Lower the heat to medium and stir in the thyme, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, and rice.
- 8Keep stirring for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
- 9Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat back to high until the liquid boils, and then cover and reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- 10Season the shrimp and crawfish (if using) with salt and pepper, and add them to the pot.
- 11Keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes before removing from the heat and adding the green onions.
- 12Check for seasonings. Add salt, pepper, and the celery salt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (993 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1546.5
- Calories from Fat 709
- Total Fat 78.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 473.3 mg
- Sodium 2782.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 90.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: