Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Chef John Besh, as printed in Men's Health June 2008
Make and share this Shrimp, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille sausages, diced
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks separated)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 5 celery ribs, diced
- 3 large onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups converted rice
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably Louisiana white)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs louisiana crawfish, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon celery salt
- Preheat a large cast-iron pot over high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and add the sausage and bacon.
- Cook the meat as evenly as possible, stirring slowly, until the fat is released.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot, and turn the heat to high.
- Once the chicken has browned, add the celery, onions, green pepper, and garlic.
- Continue to stir, allowing the ingredients to brown without burning.
- Lower the heat to medium and stir in the thyme, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, and rice.
- Keep stirring for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat back to high until the liquid boils, and then cover and reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season the shrimp and crawfish (if using) with salt and pepper, and add them to the pot.
- Keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes before removing from the heat and adding the green onions.
- Check for seasonings. Add salt, pepper, and the celery salt.
8 servings?? For 8 jolly green giants!! Great recipe! ! I did have to split this between a large deep skillet and a pot as I didn't have a large cast iron pot. You can feed 15-20 people easily!