1 hr 40 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Chef John Besh, as printed in Men's Health June 2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs andouille sausages, diced
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks separated)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 5 celery ribs, diced
- 3 large onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups converted rice
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably Louisiana white)
- 1 1/2 lbs louisiana crawfish, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon celery salt
- 1Preheat a large cast-iron pot over high heat.
- 2Lower the heat to medium-high and add the sausage and bacon.
- 3Cook the meat as evenly as possible, stirring slowly, until the fat is released.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot, and turn the heat to high.
- 5Once the chicken has browned, add the celery, onions, green pepper, and garlic.
- 6Continue to stir, allowing the ingredients to brown without burning.
- 7Lower the heat to medium and stir in the thyme, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, and rice.
- 8Keep stirring for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
- 9Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat back to high until the liquid boils, and then cover and reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- 10Season the shrimp and crawfish (if using) with salt and pepper, and add them to the pot.
- 11Keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes before removing from the heat and adding the green onions.
- 12Check for seasonings. Add salt, pepper, and the celery salt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (993 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1546.5
- Calories from Fat 709
- Total Fat 78.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 473.3 mg
- Sodium 2782.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 90.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: