Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes the silkiest pot of Gumbo that also delivers that perfect amount of heat. Your taste buds will scream out for more. It's even better the next day!
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons file powder
- 2 quarts stock (homemade vegetable or shrimp)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille sausages (can use smoked andouille)
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, uncooked, peeled & deveined
- Make roux by heating oil in a large dutch oven over high heat until almost smoking. Add flour & stir until dark red-brown, about 8 minutes. Immediately add celery, onions, & bell peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring & scraping the bottom of the pan often. Mix in bay leaves, salt, oregano, & cayenne. Add & stir together stock, canned tomatoes, sausage,& filet seasoning . Boil 15 minutes. (To add okra: reduce heat & simmer until okra is tender, about 15 minutes). Add shrimp to gumbo & simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve in bowl & add 1 mound of freshly cooked long-grain rice on top.
- 1/2 lb. okra, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Salt & pepper is not added during cooking as the natural salt in the ingredients is more than enough to season it. (Please taste prior to seasoning before eating.).