1/1 Photo of Shotgun Red Beans And Rice
I scourged this off the net a long time ago. I really like it,..and so do my drinking buddies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb red kidney beans or 1 lb other red beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups chopped onions, in all
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 8 1/2 cups defatted chicken stock, in all
- 2 cups grape juice, in all
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1Day 1: Add enough water to the red beans to cover them by 3 or 4 inches, and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- 2As the beans absorb the water; they'll more than double in volume.
- 3Day 2: Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- 4Drain the beans and set them aside.
- 5Preheat a heavy 5-quart pot, preferrably non-stick, over high heat to 350 degrees, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add 2 CUPS of the onions, the bell peppers, and the celery, and 1 TABLESPOON of the seasoning mix.
- 7Stir and cook until the vegetables start to turn brown, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add 1/2 CUP of the stock, scrape the bottom of the pot to clear all the browned bits, and cook 3 minutes.
- 9Add the REMAINING 1 cup of onions, stir, and cook 5 minutes.
- 10Add the drained beans, 5 CUPS of the stock, and the REMAINING seasoning mix.
- 11Stir and cook for 45 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot occasionally to check for sticking.
- 12Add 1 CUP grape juice and continue to cook for 25 minutes.
- 13CAUTION: At this point, the starches in the beans start to break down and sticking will occur more often.
- 14It is therefore important to check and clear the bottom of the pan frequently.
- 15Add the REMAINING stock and grape juice, turn the heat to medium, and cook until the beans are tender, and the liquid is thick and begins to look creamy, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 16Serve over the rice.
- 17NOTES: Red beans with rice is an old traditional New Orleans Monday supper dish.
- 18Monday used to be wash day, and the story goes that the beans could simmer while the laundry was being done.
- 19When the wash was finished, so were the beans.
- 20In the past, in order to make the beans really good, the cook started off with a lot of oil.
- 21While this recipe eliminates the oil, it still is mouth-watering.
- 22MAKES ABOUT 7 CUPS, ENOUGH FOR 6 MAIN-DISH SERVINGS.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shotgun Red Beans And Rice
Serving Size: 1 (4444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 1282.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 25.7 g