1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Shawn C's Note:
This is my version of the creamy style chicken and dumplings that are so good at that great southern cooking restaurant Cracker Barrell this is old fashioned and sure to stick to your ribs. Warms your heart any time of year.optional: instead of making the dumplings yourself you can use a box of Anne's flat dumplings from the freezer section of the grocery store
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 garlic clove, left whole
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1boil chicken at a low boil in very large dutch oven with celery, onion, and garlic. season with salt and pepper, add chicken bouillon.
- 2let chicken low boil for about 1 hour.
- 3remove all chicken, celery, onion, and garlic from pot- let cool until you can work with the chicken. debone chicken and shred a little with hands. discard celery, onion and garlic.
- 4in bowl mix dumpling ingredients well and turn onto a floured surface. knead 5-6 times and divide into 2 parts.
- 5roll out one section into 1/8" thickness and cut into 1" squaresrepeat with other section.
- 6in large pot boil water with 3 bouillon cubes.
- 7cook about half of the dumplins unitl just about cooked through remove, strain and set aside. repeat until all are done.
- 8in sauce pot melt butter add salt and flour and whisk together. once incorporated increase heat to medium high.
- 9add milk and whisk until smooth, whisk in chicken base unitl disolved into mixture reduce heat to a low simmer.
- 10add the 1/2 cup of cooking water (either the dumpling liquid or the chicken water) simmer whisking to make sure there are no lumps. remove from heat.
- 11bring chicken water to a boil, return chicken to the pot and add dumplings.
- 12scoop out one ladel of sauce and add to chicken pot stirring constantly. continue to add ladel at a time until the desired thickness you like is achieved.
- 13taste for seasoning. serve in deep bowls!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shawn's Cracker Barrel Style Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.1
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 133.9 mg
- Sodium 977.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 33.9 g