I found this in a book that my mama gave to me (Famous Brand Name Recipes) and I love it! I'm a soup addict and the only meat that I eat is seafood so it works out great for me. Hope you enjoy! Microwave instructions follow.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 3⁄4 lb white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in margarine in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender crisp.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, broth, red pepper, thyme, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in okra, fish and shrimp; simmer until fish flakes with fork, 5-8 minutes. Serve rice on top of gumbo.
- Microwave Directions: Combine onion, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic and margarine in deep 2 to 3 quart microwave safe baking dish. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 minutes; stir after 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and juice, broth, red pepper, thyme and basil. Cover and cook on HIGH 10 minutes; stir. Reduce setting to MEDIUM and cook, covered, 10-12 minutes. Stir in okra, fish and shrimp; cook, covered, on HIGH 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve rice on top of gumbo.