I found this in a book that my mama gave to me (Famous Brand Name Recipes) and I love it! I'm a soup addict and the only meat that I eat is seafood so it works out great for me. Hope you enjoy! Microwave instructions follow.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 3⁄4 lb white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in margarine in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender crisp.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, broth, red pepper, thyme, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in okra, fish and shrimp; simmer until fish flakes with fork, 5-8 minutes. Serve rice on top of gumbo.
- Microwave Directions: Combine onion, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic and margarine in deep 2 to 3 quart microwave safe baking dish. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 minutes; stir after 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and juice, broth, red pepper, thyme and basil. Cover and cook on HIGH 10 minutes; stir. Reduce setting to MEDIUM and cook, covered, 10-12 minutes. Stir in okra, fish and shrimp; cook, covered, on HIGH 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve rice on top of gumbo.
Great dish! I have a big family and usually triple the recipes. As a result I prepared the seafood separately by cooking it in an Old Bay brand crab boil. In addition to the shrimp I added fresh mussels, crayfish and catfish. I sauteed the bite-size catfish chunks in olive oil & butter, with a little salt & pepper. Awesome Fat Tuesday meal!
This is very quick, very easy to put together, good flavor, and has eye appeal. I see that some Zaar chefs disagree over the definition of 'gumbo', but according to Merriam Webster, gumbo is "a soup thickened with okra pods or file and containing meat or seafoods and usually vegetables -- so this recipe certainly qualifies! I followed the recipe using 1 cup each of onion, green pepper and mushrooms, 2 cloves of garlic, and fresh basil. Overall, a nice, satisfying seafood gumbo. Made for Fall PAC 2008. Thanks for posting this recipe, Pesce_Gurl!