2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
This is a very good "comfort" food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 quarts water
- 1 lb smoked sausage, 1/2" slices
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 dungeness crabs, cooked,cleaned,and cracked
- 2 -3 tablespoons file powder
- 8 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1First, make a roux.
- 2In a medium-size cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- 3Stir in the flour.
- 4Cook, stirring often, about 15-20 minutes until the roux is deep brown in color.
- 5Watch the mixture closely and adjust the heat to keep from burning.
- 6Remove from heat and set aside.
- 7Meanwhile, in an 8-quart pot, combine the chicken and water.
- 8Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30-45 minutes , until the chicken is cooked through.
- 9Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.
- 10Add the sausage, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, and crushed red pepper to the pot.
- 11Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 12Stir the roux into the gumbo, a spoonful at a time.
- 13Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 14Simmer 20-30 minutes longer.
- 15While the gumbo is simmering, remove the skin and bones from the cooled chicken.
- 16Tear the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 17Add the chicken, shrimp, and crabs to the pot, and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through.
- 18Stir in the file powder, cooking just until the gumbo is slightly thickened.
- 19Ladle the gumbo over scoops of hot rice in large soup bowls.
- 20Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (818 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1384.6
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 257.2 mg
- Sodium 1239.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 157.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 67.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: