Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
This is a very good "comfort" food.
Make and share this Seafood Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 quarts water
- 1 lb smoked sausage, 1/2" slices
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 dungeness crabs, cooked,cleaned,and cracked
- 2 -3 tablespoons file powder
- 8 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- First, make a roux.
- In a medium-size cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour.
- Cook, stirring often, about 15-20 minutes until the roux is deep brown in color.
- Watch the mixture closely and adjust the heat to keep from burning.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in an 8-quart pot, combine the chicken and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30-45 minutes , until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Add the sausage, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, and crushed red pepper to the pot.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir the roux into the gumbo, a spoonful at a time.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes longer.
- While the gumbo is simmering, remove the skin and bones from the cooled chicken.
- Tear the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Add the chicken, shrimp, and crabs to the pot, and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Stir in the file powder, cooking just until the gumbo is slightly thickened.
- Ladle the gumbo over scoops of hot rice in large soup bowls.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.