A friend loaned my a Cajun Cookbook and that is where this recipe came from. They all look so delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup corn oil or 1/2 cup lard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1 -2 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, in tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 allspice berries
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 cups white lump crabmeat (several small whole crabs, cleaned, or cracked crab claws)
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons file powder
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and add the flour.
- 2Cook, stirring, to make a medium-brown roux (the color of peanut butter).
- 3Add the onion, scallions, garlic and celery and cook until softened.
- 4Add the tomatoes with their juice, breaking them down with the side of a spoon, then add the tomato paste, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, allspice, cloves, salt, peppers, cayenne to taste, lemon juice and water.
- 5Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- 6Add half the crabmeat and the whole crabs or claws.
- 7Simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 8If you like, you can scoop out allspice, cloves and bay leaf.
- 9Add the shrimp and the remaining crab and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- 10Remove the pan from the heat and stir in enough file powder to thicken.
- 11Do not boil the gumbo after adding the file powder.
- 12Serve hot.
- 13NOTE*****Other seafood, such as purged crawfish, lobster and well scrubbed clams may be added to the gumbo, as available.
- 14Cooked seafood may be used, too.
- 15The finished gumbo will not have the richness of flavor given by crab cooked in it, but will still be delicious.
- 16Just heat cooked seafood through in the finished sauce.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood File Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.0
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 949.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: