Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I am from Texas but my HS sweethearts father is cajun so I picked up some recipes from him and I love all the flavors and spices. This is one of my favorites
- 1 (11 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (rotel)
- 2 cups seafood stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled deviened
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces crabmeat, drained or 6 ounces imitation crabmeat
- 6 ounces crawfish meat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic (I buy the kind already crushed in the jar)
- In large pot melt the butter and stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 15-20 minutes until browned.
- Stir in the undrained rotel, stock, and celery, chopped onion, basil, bay leaves, salt, garlic, and a little cayenne. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add additional cayenne if desired.
- While simmering, add the shrimp, crawfish and crabmeat and cook uncovered for 5 to 7 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked thoroughly.