Mr.D's chowda, my brother in law born in the south and myself a new englander, this was created for him without losing the new england flavor.
- 4 ounces salt pork, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 1⁄2 ounces clams
- 1 lb catfish or 1 lb cod, - 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In a soup pot, render the salt pork until just crisp, remove and discard.
- cook the onion, celery, and carrots in the pork fat until tender.
- add the potatoes, okra, corn, clams+juice, and fish.
- cover with milk and heavy cream.
- add basil, old bay, salt&pepper.
- bring to boil and let simmer until potatoes are soft.
- add chopped parsley.