This is a quick and easy bean dish...can be used as a protein for vegetarians, or as a side for the meat lovers! This is an adaptation of SarasotaCook's Sauteed Cannellini With Spinach and Garlic.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like things hot!)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 teaspoons parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium until slightly soft.
- Add the beans, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to medium high and cook for about 4-5 minutes. While they are cooking, mash about half of the beans with a fork until they reach the consistency that you prefer.
- If you would like, you can garnish with some additional olive oil and ground pepper.