Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a quick and easy bean dish...can be used as a protein for vegetarians, or as a side for the meat lovers! This is an adaptation of SarasotaCook's Sauteed Cannellini With Spinach and Garlic.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like things hot!)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 teaspoons parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium until slightly soft.
- Add the beans, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to medium high and cook for about 4-5 minutes. While they are cooking, mash about half of the beans with a fork until they reach the consistency that you prefer.
- If you would like, you can garnish with some additional olive oil and ground pepper.
This is quick and easy to make but we thought the beans were just too hot for us. I put some sour cream on top of them to try and cool them off but even that didn't help. If you don't mind really hot food you might like it. Mashing the beans made them look too mushy for my taste. Made for Photo Tag cooking game.
Delicious pot of beans and super easy to make. Healthy, as well. Husband has already asked me to make them again. Thanks and congrats on your Football Pool win.
We loved the flavors in this easy and quick side dish! I also didn't mash the beans since we love the texture of the northern beans. Making this one again! Made for Think Pink Game 2012.