Warm and filling Jambalaya that even my toddlers eat. I like it served with warm buttermilk biscuits.
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and tailless
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, combine celery, bell pepper, onion and one tablespoon of olive oil; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, garlic, crushed red pepper and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, bring to a boil again, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice is done.
- Meanwhile, get out a frying pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and brown your sausage; set aside in a covered bowl.
- Saute and thoroughly cook your shrimp in the same frying pan, set aside (you can use already cooked shrimp for an easier preparation).
- When the rice is done cooking, stir in your Kielbasa and shrimp and then SERVE AND ENJOY!