2 hrs 45 mins
This is a really a different take on the Cuban dish ropa vieja - a stew of shredded beef. Here we have taken poetic license - added hot chiles, black beans, & Pepper Jack Biscuits, to name a few. I hope I can do this dish, usually made from leftover beef, justice by taking it yet another step! BTW for those of you who don't know, ropa vieja means old clothes. When they used to make it - they put the beef in soup and when they were finished with the soup - they took the beef and with two forks pulled it apart and then made this dish. Loosely based on CuisineAtHome, Issue 71 - October 2008 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup poblano chile, seeded, diced
- 1 cup anaheim chili, seeded, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 12 ounces beer (1 bottle lager)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 15 ounces black beans, drained, rinsed (1 can)
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, halved
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
PEPPER JACK BISCUITS
- 1ROPA VIEJA:.
- 2Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 3Saute bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
- 4Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 5Saute onion, bell peppers, chiles and garlic in bacon drippings until beginning to brown, 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 6Cut flank steak into thirds and sear until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- 7Stir in beer, such as lager, broth, and seasonings; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered 45 minutes.
- 8Remove steak from pan, shred with 2 forks, and set aside.
- 9Whisk masa into broth, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken slightly, 10 minutes.
- 10Stir in reserved beef, vegetables, & bacon with remaining ingredients.
- 11Divide filling among six 2-cup ovenprook dishes or ramekins, transfer dishes to prepared baking sheet and top with biscuit topping.
- 12PEPPER JACK BISCUITS:.
- 13Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 14Whisk flour, masa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl until combined.
- 15Cut in butter until pea-sized using a pastry blender(or two knives), then stir in cheese and scallions.
- 16Blend milk and sour cream in a sma;; bowl, then stir into flour mixture just untilcombined.
- 17Top each pot pie with 3 golf ball-sized scoops of biscuit topping.
- 18Bake until biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- 19Let stand 10 minutes before serving to set up.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ropa Vieja Pot Pies With Pepper Jack Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (4050 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 879.7
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 1048.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 47.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento stuffed olives