Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An excellent pasta recipe from New Orleans. I first made it in my home ec. class in high school and it has ever since become a family favorite. So flavorful, yet not spicy like so many New Orleans seafood dishes. This is a simple and exquisite recipe. Total time to prepare is about 30 minutes. Some ingredients can be substituted. Please see below.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen cooked crawfish, thawed (The crawfish can be substituted with 1 lb of shrimp, just make sure it is fully cooked)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (Any cream soup will work, I prefer Campbell's cream of mushroom.)
- green onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) packagekraft garlic cheese rolls (looks like a sausage link, sometimes hard to find, can use garlic powder and Velveeta or similar)
- 1 (1 lb) package angel hair pasta or 1 (1 lb) package other pastas
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk (optional)
- Chop the green onions (as much as you like--I usually just use a handful).
- Open the cheese and slice it in as many pieces as possible so it can melt easily.
- Set onions and cheese aside separately.
- It is a good idea at this point to start a large pot of boiling water, and it should be boiling by the time the sauce is done.
- To make the sauce: Melt stick of butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add chopped onions.
- Simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions look nicely cooked.
- Add the package of crawfish and let simmer for another few minutes.
- Add the cheese, and once it has started to melt, add the can of soup.
- Dash of salt if desired.
- You can turn the heat up to medium hi.
- Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
- If it is too thick, milk can be added to thin it out.
- Cover and turn heat back down to low.
- Stir occasionally so the sauce does not stick.
- Now just boil the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Sauce can be served over the pasta or mixed inches.
- If there are leftovers, I usually store it all mixed together.
- It reheats better that way.
Taste YUMMY. Easy to make, my 15 year old was the cook tonight. He added a handful of finely chopped green pepper to the pan while cooking the onions.