Jenn from New Orleans S's Note:
An excellent pasta recipe from New Orleans. I first made it in my home ec. class in high school and it has ever since become a family favorite. So flavorful, yet not spicy like so many New Orleans seafood dishes. This is a simple and exquisite recipe. Total time to prepare is about 30 minutes. Some ingredients can be substituted. Please see below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cooked crawfish, thawed (The crawfish can be substituted with 1 lb of shrimp, just make sure it is fully cooked)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (Any cream soup will work, I prefer Campbell's cream of mushroom.)
- green onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) package kraft garlic cheese rolls (looks like a sausage link, sometimes hard to find, can use garlic powder and Velveeta or similar)
- 1 (1 lb) package angel hair pasta or 1 (1 lb) package other pastas
- 1/2-1 cup milk (optional)
- 1Chop the green onions (as much as you like--I usually just use a handful).
- 2Open the cheese and slice it in as many pieces as possible so it can melt easily.
- 3Set onions and cheese aside separately.
- 4It is a good idea at this point to start a large pot of boiling water, and it should be boiling by the time the sauce is done.
- 5To make the sauce: Melt stick of butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- 6Add chopped onions.
- 7Simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions look nicely cooked.
- 8Add the package of crawfish and let simmer for another few minutes.
- 9Add the cheese, and once it has started to melt, add the can of soup.
- 10Dash of salt if desired.
- 11You can turn the heat up to medium hi.
- 12Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
- 13If it is too thick, milk can be added to thin it out.
- 14Cover and turn heat back down to low.
- 15Stir occasionally so the sauce does not stick.
- 16Now just boil the pasta according to the package instructions.
- 17Sauce can be served over the pasta or mixed inches.
- 18If there are leftovers, I usually store it all mixed together.
- 19It reheats better that way.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich & Creamy Crawfish or Shrimp Pasta W/ Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.9
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 177.4 mg
- Sodium 743.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic cheese rolls