1/1 Photo of Red Beans and Rice
Debbie R.'s Note:
This is a good recipe that is inexpensive and can be manipulated to have less salt; i.e., you can make the red beans from dried ones rather than canned, and you can substitute no-salt chicken bouillon powder for regular chicken stock. If using dried beans, you only need to cook up 8 oz of them rather than the full 1-pound pkg. I used the dried beans; I started at 2:30 and did not eat until 6 PM. This recipe comes from The Columbus Dispatch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2-1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed (or 8 ounces of dried beans sorted, soaked and cooked per package directions, then drained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 -4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1Slice sausage, then cut into quarters. Cook it in a large saucepan until well-browned for 5 to 8 minutes. (I added about one tsp of oil so that it would brown nicely).
- 2Add all the vegetables, including garlic, and saute until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in bay leaves and thyme. Cook 1 or 2 minutes more.
- 4Add beans to pan. Using a potato masher, mash about one-fourth of them. Add chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick.
- 5Discard bay leaves. Season to taste with Tabasco, cayenne and black pepper. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 251.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage