1/1 Photo of Red Beans and Rice
Debbie R.'s Note:
This is a good recipe that is inexpensive and can be manipulated to have less salt; i.e., you can make the red beans from dried ones rather than canned, and you can substitute no-salt chicken bouillon powder for regular chicken stock. If using dried beans, you only need to cook up 8 oz of them rather than the full 1-pound pkg. I used the dried beans; I started at 2:30 and did not eat until 6 PM. This recipe comes from The Columbus Dispatch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2-1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed (or 8 ounces of dried beans sorted, soaked and cooked per package directions, then drained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 -4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1Slice sausage, then cut into quarters. Cook it in a large saucepan until well-browned for 5 to 8 minutes. (I added about one tsp of oil so that it would brown nicely).
- 2Add all the vegetables, including garlic, and saute until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in bay leaves and thyme. Cook 1 or 2 minutes more.
- 4Add beans to pan. Using a potato masher, mash about one-fourth of them. Add chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick.
- 5Discard bay leaves. Season to taste with Tabasco, cayenne and black pepper. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 251.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage