1/1 Photo of Real Shrimp Creole
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #580861 Nesbitt's Note:
This is another Cajun dish that is my personal favorite. It has a tomato base along with roux that makes it a hearty meal. It is also served over hot rice as most good Cajun foods are. That is a staple in every Cajun home. My gramma would keep her rice in a big new garbage can with a tight lid. We ate so much of it that when it was on sale and there was a limit she would send all the grandkids in to each get a bag. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated, use only the rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tony chacherie cajun seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can hunt's cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1Make roux with the butter and flour, heat the butter and stir in the flour. When roux begins to turn slight tan and is well mixed with the butter turn heat down to low. Continue cooking and stir occasionally. This should take about 45 minutes to one hour, but you want the roux to be a rich chocolate brown without burning. If it burns you should throw it out and begin again.
- 2Throw everything into the pot except the shrimp.
- 3May have to add 1 cup of water to thin a bit if too thick.
- 4Simmer on low for one hour, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and mix in well.
- 5Add the shrimp and cook until they are done about 20 minutes.
- 6Serve over hot cooked rice. You may wish to add a sprinkle of gumbo filet to each dish.
- 7I usually serve with some kind of hot bread and a salad on side. Good with a glass of red or white wine.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.9
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 508.5 mg
- Sodium 2844.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 56.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of