Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love gumbo, but always end up picking it all apart because I don't like the meats that are typically included. This one is vegetarian and surprisingly easy! For the sausage links, I prefer boca and morningstar farms products. Serve with hot sauce on the side. -- discovered on Whole Foods' website.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen bell peppers (I prefer multi-colored strips)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon cajun spices (I buy a blackened variety)
- 8 ounces vegetarian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3⁄4 cup rice (white or quick cooking brown)
- 8 ounces frozen cut okra
- Heat oil over med. heat in a large pot until warm.
- Add garlic and saute briefly.
- Add peppers, stir well.
- Cook another 4 min, then add tomatoes, beans, seasoning, and sausage.
- Bring to a boil (you may need to add 1/2-1c. water now) and add rice.
- Cover and simmer 15 minute.
- Add okra and simmer another 10 minute or until rice is cooked.
- Serve with hot sauce on the side.