I love gumbo, but always end up picking it all apart because I don't like the meats that are typically included. This one is vegetarian and surprisingly easy! For the sausage links, I prefer boca and morningstar farms products. Serve with hot sauce on the side. -- discovered on Whole Foods' website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen bell peppers (I prefer multi-colored strips)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon cajun spices (I buy a blackened variety)
- 8 ounces vegetarian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4 cup rice (white or quick cooking brown)
- 8 ounces frozen cut okra
- 1Heat oil over med. heat in a large pot until warm.
- 2Add garlic and saute briefly.
- 3Add peppers, stir well.
- 4Cook another 4 min, then add tomatoes, beans, seasoning, and sausage.
- 5Bring to a boil (you may need to add 1/2-1c. water now) and add rice.
- 6Cover and simmer 15 minute.
- 7Add okra and simmer another 10 minute or until rice is cooked.
- 8Serve with hot sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Vegetarian Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.2
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 439.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian sausage links