Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fast and easy vegetarian gumbo. Make it as spicey as you like.
Make and share this Quick Vegetable Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed and chopped
- Heat oil over med heat in a 4 qt dutch oven until hot.
- Add bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic.
- Stir until crisp tender.
- Add Tomatoes, juice, beans, parsley, oregano, pepper sauce and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Add rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add okra.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until okra is tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
Enjoyed this, didnt use the okra though as we dont care for it. Leftovers were even better the next day for lunch.