Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fast and easy vegetarian gumbo. Make it as spicey as you like.
Make and share this Quick Vegetable Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed and chopped
- Heat oil over med heat in a 4 qt dutch oven until hot.
- Add bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic.
- Stir until crisp tender.
- Add Tomatoes, juice, beans, parsley, oregano, pepper sauce and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Add rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add okra.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until okra is tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
Enjoyed this, didnt use the okra though as we dont care for it. Leftovers were even better the next day for lunch.