Karen From Colorado's Note:
Fast and easy vegetarian gumbo. Make it as spicey as you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed and chopped
- 1Heat oil over med heat in a 4 qt dutch oven until hot.
- 2Add bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic.
- 3Stir until crisp tender.
- 4Add Tomatoes, juice, beans, parsley, oregano, pepper sauce and bay leaves.
- 5Bring to boil over high heat.
- 6Add rice.
- 7Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- 8Simmer 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- 9Add okra.
- 10Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until okra is tender.
- 11Remove bay leaves.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Vegetable Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.6
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 363.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
quick-cooking brown rice