Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you're looking for quick, inexpensive way to feed a hungry bunch, this tasty dish may be the answer. Basically, have doctored some directions on back of frozen food package. This could easily be revved up a notch by adding some andoule sausage or shrimp. I used a rotiserrie chicken leg quarter and had just the right amount of meat. Served with a nice garden salad.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, diced
- 16 ounces frozen gumbo-style vegetables (corn, onions, okra, onions)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Saute frozen veggies in oil in a dutch oven until tender, adding all spices. Stir ocassionally.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken and rice to vegetable mixture and simmer for at least 20 minutes, or until rice and veggies are done.
I've been looking for this recipe! I had not been able to find the frozen gumbo veggies so I couldn't remember how to make this...I had made this off the veggie pkg awhile back and everyone loved it. I did add shrimp and sausage. So much easier than traditional gumbo but w/all the flavor..It's more like a soup but, hey, soups great!