A staple in our house when I was growing up in the south. Sometimes my mom would add a cup of macaroni.
- Rinse beans and sort for stones.
- Soak beans in enough water to cover overnight.
- Drain off water.
- In skillet, brown bacon.
- Add onion and celery, stir.
- Add spices.
- Add this mixture to drained beans.
- Pour enough water to reach within 3 inches of top of pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When soup is about ready to serve, use a potato masher to crush up some of the beans to make a thicker soup.