Jimy Fahrenholtz spent 25 years perfecting this recipe. So said the article in the Times Picayune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs red kidney red beans, preferably Camellia brand, washed and drained
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 bay leaves
- 24 drops Tabasco sauce or 24 drops hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 20 cups water
- 2 -3 lbs ham seasoning, cut up
- cooked long-grain rice, for serving
- 1In a very large mixing bowl (or a 12-quart non-reactive pot, or two 6- to 8-quart pots), combine all ingredients except ham, sausage and rice. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 2When ready to cook, place all in a pot with the ham and sausage.
- 3Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and strongly simmer (preferably without skimming), for 1 hour; stir as needed to keep beans from sticking.
- 4Reduce heat and slowly simmer, covered, between 2 and 4 hours, or until mixture is very thick and beans are tender.
- 5During the slow-simmering process, stir frequently, especially toward end of cooking time, adding more water to pot only if dish seems too dry.
- 6About 1 hour before done, periodically mash some of the beans with a potato masher, scraping pan bottom clean after each mashing; try to mash about 40 percent of the beans.
- 7Serve immediately over rice or, preferably, let beans cool and refrigerate overnight.
- 8Reheat for serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: