Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Jimy Fahrenholtz spent 25 years perfecting this recipe. So said the article in the Times Picayune.
Make and share this Perfect Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs red kidney red beans, preferably Camellia brand, washed and drained
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 bay leaves
- 24 drops Tabasco sauce or 24 drops hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 20 cups water
- 2 -3 lbs ham seasoning, cut up
- cooked long-grain rice, for serving
- In a very large mixing bowl (or a 12-quart non-reactive pot, or two 6- to 8-quart pots), combine all ingredients except ham, sausage and rice. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, place all in a pot with the ham and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and strongly simmer (preferably without skimming), for 1 hour; stir as needed to keep beans from sticking.
- Reduce heat and slowly simmer, covered, between 2 and 4 hours, or until mixture is very thick and beans are tender.
- During the slow-simmering process, stir frequently, especially toward end of cooking time, adding more water to pot only if dish seems too dry.
- About 1 hour before done, periodically mash some of the beans with a potato masher, scraping pan bottom clean after each mashing; try to mash about 40 percent of the beans.
- Serve immediately over rice or, preferably, let beans cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Reheat for serving.