Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My Papa in law is famous for his jambalaya - he makes massive pots of it for different charities and for family gatherings. He told me the proportions of ingredients based on 10 lbs of rice, which is the smallest sized batch he makes. You can reduce the amount of meat, but it will take away from the heartiness and overall flavor of the dish. It is important to use a cast iron pot. The cooking time is long, but you don't have to stand over the pot until the end when you add the rice. One pound of rice is supposed to be about 2 1/2 cups, which is why I put 5 cups of liquid- the proper ratio is one part rice to two parts water, so measure the rice to be sure :-) I don't have a large cast iron pot, and was able to make it in a stainless steel pot with few adjustments. While the meat and vegetables are browning, add small amounts of water (just enough to cover the bottom of the pot) to prevent everything from sticking. Add more water as needed to keep the veggies and meat loose. At the end of the recipe, cook until all of the water is absorbed - although it will still need to rest a few minutes before serving.
- Parboil the chicken. Save the broth, and debone the chicken. Dice into bite sized pieces.
- Saute chicken, pork and sausage in its own fat. Allow it to cook for a long time (at least 45 minutes) so that it will become tender.
- Remove the cooked meat from the pot, set aside.
- Saute the onion, green onion bottoms, garlic, and celery until transparent. Put the meat back into the pot. Add reserved broth, and enough water to make 5 cups total liquid added. Season to taste with kitchen bouquet and gravy master (you don't need more than 1/2 a teaspoon of either.) Add green onion tops.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for a while (at least 30 minutes) for the flavors to meld.
- Add the rice, and stir to prevent it from sticking. When the liquid is almost absorbed, remove from heat and cover the pot. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If you like it hot you can add cayenne pepper in with the spices.